Call for Artists – Request for Qualifications
The City of Kent Arts Commission is seeking artists for its traffic box wrap project.
Deadline is May 31, 2019, 5:00 p.m.
The Kent Arts Commission invites artists to submit qualifications to create artwork designs to be reproduced as vinyl wraps and applied to traffic signal cabinets in the city.
Up to eight artists will be selected. Each artist will be paid $1,000 for an approved final design.
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS (PDF)
This cross departmental partnership is intended to curb graffiti and create a visually dynamic and interesting environment in Kent by incorporating artwork on city traffic controller cabinets. Artwork will be fabricated onto vinyl wraps and installed on eight selected cabinets.
This call is open to professional and emerging visual artists residing in Washington State, and working in any medium, as long as the final artwork can be translated and digitally reproduced on a two-dimensional vinyl wrap. Eight artists will be chosen from the pool of applicants to create one design each that wraps the four sides of a cabinet.
Scope of Work
The artists will each create a design based on traffic controller cabinet specifications and locations to be provided. We are looking for artwork that provides color and vibrancy. Designs that are representative of some element(s) of the Kent community are encouraged.
Artists will provide fabrication-ready designs; Kent Arts Commission/City of Kent will coordinate and cover the cost of fabrication and installation.
Each of the selected artists will receive an artistic fee of $1,000 inclusive of design, research, travel, and applicable WA sales/use tax.
City of Kent Parks, Recreation & Community Services
RECREATION AND CULTURAL SERVICES
Lori Hogan Recreation and Cultural Services Superintendent 220 4th Avenue South Kent, WA 98032 Fax: 253-856-6050
Julie Parascondola, CPRP, Director
- Application deadline: May 31, 2019, 5:00 p.m. Selection panel: Mid-June 2019
- Artists notified: Approximately July 5, 2019 Artists create work: July-August 2019
- Artists submit final work for delivery to fabricator: August 23, 2019 Fabrication/installation: September 2019 (projected/weather dependent)
- Quality of past work as demonstrated in submitted application materials
- Suitability of work for traffic controller cabinet locations
- Desire and capacity to consider Kent’s unique community, history, and character
All applications must be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Kent Parks Cultural Programs office Kent City Hall
220 4th Avenue South
Kent, WA 98032
Applications must include:
- Letter of interest addressing why applicant is interested in this opportunity and detailing relevant experience or qualifications
- Artistic resume or statement summarizing artist’s qualifications and/or past experience
- Two references familiar with the quality of artwork created by the applicant
- List of images: Title, type of work (painting, photography, collage, etc.),
- 10 images representative of applicant artwork (submitted on a thumb drive or CD
as separate jpeg files)
- Applicants are responsible for all costs incurred in preparing or responding to this request for qualifications. All materials and documents submitted become the property of the City and will not be returned.
May 31, 2019, 5:00 p.m. PT
Ronda Billerbeck, [email protected], (253) 856-5055