Here’s a snow-related update from the City of Kent as of Friday, Feb. 8, 2019:
The City is equipped with one liquid de-icing truck and seven sanders. Each of these trucks (eight total) is also equipped with a snow plow. As indicated in our Snow and Ice Response Plan, sanders, liquid de-icing equipment and accompanying snow plows will focus on the below hill portions of the Primary Snow and Ice Routes.
- S 212th St / 212th Way / SE 208th St between 91st Pl S and 105th Pl SE
- Canyon Dr SE between E Titus St and 101st Ave SE
- Reith Rd between Military Rd S and SR 516
- Veterans Dr between Military Rd S and Russell Rd S
Sander and snow plows will run around the clock beginning Friday February 8th. Drivers will work alternating twelve-hour shifts. Additional hill portions of primary routes, and approaches to signalized intersections along these routes, are addressed when conditions allow. Secondary routes will only be addressed as conditions permit.
We anticipate closing the following roadways during the event. Additional roadways may be added to this list based on conditions.
- Cambridge Dr / 42nd Ave S between Hampton Way to S 262nd St
- S 277th St between L St NE and 114th Ave SE
- Kennebeck Ave S between E Titus St and Guiberson St
- East James St between 84th Ave S and 98th Ave S
- S 208th St between 92nd Ave S and 96th Ave S
- 93rd Ave S between S 220th St and S 218th St
- S 218th St between 93rd Ave S and 98th Ave S
- SE 192nd St between 120th Ave SE and 124th Ave SE
For road closures and other road-related updates, please subscribe to Drive Kent alerts.
Important driving tips:
- If you don’t need to go out, please don’t. This will make it easier for our crews to treat the roads.
- If you need to go out, plan for delays and be prepared for the conditions.
- Your vehicle should be winterized (e.g., snow tires, chains, etc.)
- Please be patient and courteous of other drivers.
- Put plenty of distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
- In the event of a road closure, do not go around “Road Closed” signs.The roadway has been closed for the protection of the public.
- Do not abandon your vehicle. It will be towed and impounded if the vehicle is blocking the roadway.
For up-to-date road conditions, please sign up for Drive Kent email alerts at KentWA.gov/econnect.
For more information about the City’s Snow and Ice Response plan, which is evaluated and adapted annually, or to view a map of Snow and Ice routes visit KentWA.gov. Also, for updates on weather, school closings, etc., follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Nextdoor.
The city also released this video: