The National Weather Service is warning of a colder weather system that will move into our area starting Sunday evening (Feb. 3) and continuing into Monday, with showers transitioning from rain to snow later as snow levels drop from north to south.
“Snow showers will continue across most of the area this evening into early Monday morning with heaviest snow expected overnight,” experts say.
Predictions are that between 1 to 4-inches could fall, but temps should start to rise Tuesday.
Also new in the latest forecast – snow showers may return Wednesday through Saturday of this coming week.
Snow could already be seen falling on I-5 near Bellingham at around 11:30 a.m.:
And in Lynden, WA:
— Brian Flores (@BrianFloresTV) February 3, 2019
Reminder: The Severe Weather Shelter at Kent Lutheran Church (336 Second Ave. S.) will be open tonight at 9 p.m., as well as Monday and Tuesday nights. Please share. pic.twitter.com/PiWNY2Tgco
— City of Kent, WA (@cityofkent) February 3, 2019
Here’s a Special Weather Statement issued early Sunday morning, Feb. 3:
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Seattle WA
452 AM PST Sun Feb 3 2019
San Juan County-Western Whatcom County-Southwest Interior-
Western Skagit County-Everett and Vicinity-Tacoma Area-
Hood Canal Area-Lower Chehalis Valley Area-North Coast-
Central Coast-East Puget Sound Lowlands-Bellevue and Vicinity-
Seattle and Vicinity-Bremerton and Vicinity-
452 AM PST Sun Feb 3 2019
…LOWLAND SNOW LATER TODAY INTO MONDAY MORNING…
…COLD TEMPERATURES THIS WEEK…
A colder weather system will move aross the area today into
Monday. Scattered showers across the area this morning will
transition from rain to snow later today as snow levels drop fron
north to south. Snow showers will continue across most of the
area this evening into early Monday morning with heaviest snow
expected overnight. Given the showery nature of this system, snow
amounts will not be uniform with heavier accumulations possible
in stronger showers. Showers will decrease Monday morning as the
system exits south of the area. Commuters should monitor road
conditions Monday morning as slick roads may impact the morning
commute in some areas.
Cooler temperatures will arrive Monday and continuing into
Wednesday with highs only in the 30s and lower 40s and lows in
the teens to 20s. This is around 10 to 15 degrees cooler than
normal for the first week of February.
Here’s the detailed forecast:
- Today: Rain and snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 39. South southwest wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Tonight: Rain and snow showers likely before 11pm, then snow showers. Low around 30. Wind chill values between 20 and 25. West southwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming north 12 to 17 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
- Monday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 31. Wind chill values between 15 and 20. Blustery, with a north wind around 24 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25. Wind chill values between 16 and 21. Blustery, with a north northwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
- Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 36. North wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 24.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 38.
- Wednesday Night: A slight chance of snow showers after 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.
- Thursday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
- Thursday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.
- Friday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
- Friday Night: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
- Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 40.