The 22nd annual Green River Marathon – which runs from Kent to Alki Beach – will be held on Saturday, June 2, 2018.
This is a FREE Marathon/Relay/Fun Run – that’s right, there’s no cost at all, as it is put on entirely by an all volunteer crew with donations by the event’s originators and organizers.
“Donations are appreciated and keep this run going,” a statement from Organizer Steve Barrick reads. “Donations are used to help pay for event costs, ice supplies, improvements and certifications. Most of the funds are donated to Northwest Harvest. Donations are typically given when you pick up your shirt or on Day Of Race.”
Marathon Maniac, Eastside Runners and Interurban Running Club member Steve Barrick and Marathon Maniac Jim Anderson put on this run with the help of many volunteers.
- It begins at the intersection of the Green River trail and the Interurban trail in South Kent. GPS Starting Location: S. 259th and 74th Avenue S. Kent WA 98032 (Foster Park).
- GPS Finishing Location: 2666 Alki Avenue SW Seattle, WA 98116 (Spud’s Fish and Chips).
- GREEN RIVER MARATHON (CERTIFICATION # WA09024MW) IS A BOSTON QUALIFYING RACE.
- The run is very flat with two short hills late in the run. The last few miles have views of Seattle and Puget Sound towards the Olympics. The finish is in front of Spud’s Fish and Chips at Alki.
- If you don’t want to run the entire 26.2 miles, then get together some friends and make it a relay with any number of participants. Everyone is encouraged to participate by running as far as they like. In past years we have had runners running as little as 2.5 miles and as much as 22.5 miles. There are no formal rules or divisions, the run is just for fun and to stay in shape. About 25% of the participants are on relays. They help cheer the others along and pass out water, gatorade and GU (?) which is provided free. Many of the parks have restrooms along the way. Support is limited, so those with special nutritional and fluid needs are encouraged to make their own arrangements.
REGISTER HERE: https://www.greenrivermarathon.com/registration.html
Here’s a map of the race course (click image to view larger version):
Volunteers please email Race Director Barrick at [email protected], and please include:
- First and last name and time commitment you are offering.
“I will optimize everyone’s volunteering efforts! VOLUNTEERS ARE WHAT REALLY MAKE THIS RACE A SUCCESS!”
For more info: https://www.greenrivermarathon.com