Increased traffic and engagement, popular news stories and more
This was a busy year for iLoveKent. Here are some highlights from the year behind us:
Activity and engagement
- Traffic to the website nearly doubled by year-end.
- We posted 268 stories with an average of 34 stories per month (August – December).
- We have 529 new followers on Facebook (all organic traffic, not paid). Total followers on Jan. 1: 2,338.
- We have added 256 Twitter followers since May 23, 2016. Total followers on Jan. 1: 2,545.
- We launched an Instagram account in May. We’ve posted 195 photos and have 281 followers.
- We redesigned iLoveKent in May 2016.
- We made editorial changes, beginning in September 2016, adding more features and community news.
- We added Sound Bites, a weekly round-up of local news and events.
- We added Michelle Gehlman-Teeter to our writing team. See her features here.
- We added new advertisers and sponsors: AAA Pest Control, Airways Brewing Co., Kent Downtown Partnership, Tacoma Stars and Blissfully Healthy.
- Realtor Marti Reeder and Party Rents and Tents have remained loyal advertisers.
- Seven readers supported iLoveKent and our work with donations totaling more than $650.
Top 15 stories of 2016
Our top stories for the year were a mix of features, crime and government news, and updates about the status of iLoveKent.
- Kent is 18th most diversity city in US
- King County Council approves $1 million for Kent YMCA
- Kent PTSA Clothing Bank robbed
- iLoveKent may be changing
- Ghosts, goblins, goodies – Halloween 2016
- Kent Grand Organ project – classical music close to home
- Kent Business Spotlight: Artsy Fartsy Art Lessons
- Kent Winterfest 2016
- iLoveKent’s status – it isn’t promising
- City wants board and commission volunteers
- Macrina Bakery opens in Kent Aug. 8
- KentHOPE: Respect, Compassion and Camaraderie
- Enjoy Kent Cornucopia Days July 8 – 10, 2016
- Kent Police investigate shooting, two dead, one injured
- 2016 Frog Frolic
What the numbers don’t necessarily show is how engaged and supportive our audience is. iLoveKent is really an online news site FOR the community and BY the community. We share news, events and information with each other, and we regularly discuss topics important to Kent, its residents and businesses.
Thanks for your part in helping iLoveKent to be successful in 2016, and here’s to a great 2017 of working together.