Tons of Family Fun This Fall In and Around Kent
Fall is finally here! There are an incredible number of things to do in our area, from pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and haunted woods, to train rides with the Peanuts gang and or going on a special night tour of NW Trek! Here is a list of places and events in the Puget Sound area to get you started on your fall fun planning.
Pumpkin Patches and Corn Mazes
• Carpinito Brothers Pumpkin Patch & Corn Maze is a Kent autumn staple for many local families. Named in the “Top 10 Best Places for Kids in Western Washington” on KING 5 last year, they have the small farm feel with a large u-pick pumpkin patch (and a lot of great photo ops) as well as a corn maze. This year’s corn maze is of the Headless Horseman and his flaming pumpkin head. If you find all 12 checkpoints in the maze, you can enter to win a weekly drawing. This year they are adding a new Family Fun Yard across the street from the pumpkin patch which includes farm animals, a hay maze, corn pen, duck races, “rodeo ropin’ cows”, a goat walk and more. They also have hayrides that tour Carpinito’s farmland. Of course there is a produce stand to buy your favorite, locally grown, fall veggies. Don’t forget the snacks at the concession stand which include kettle corn, sausages, lemonade, hot drinks and Carpinito Bros. roasted sweet corn.
Open 9am-6pm from Sept. 30- Oct. 31
Prices are: Corn Maze- $9 ages 13 and up, $6 ages 5-13, free ages 4 and younger
(For $1 off an adult maze admission, print this coupon: http://carpinito.com/files/2213/5723/5295/Adult_Corn_Maze_Coupon.pdf )
Family Fun Yard- $5 ages 2-12, free for ages 1and under & 13 and higher
Hayrides- $3 ages 3 and higher
Located at: 27592 W Valley Hwy N., Kent, WA 98031, phone #: 253-854-5692
For more information, see their website
• Maris Farms is a true fall fair. Besides the pumpkin patch, there are ton of things to see and ride, and they have fun for us older kids at night in their haunted woods and flashlight maze too. Your weekend admission includes, among many other things, the Corn Maze, Jumping PIllow (weather permitting), Pedal Carts, Farm Zips, Corn Room, Animal Barn, Rat Rollers, Human Foosball, Tube Slides, Catch & Release Trout Fishing, Live Pig & Duck Races, the Destruction Zone, and much more (more than 40 activities are included with your weekend admission). There is an extra charge for the pony rides, monster truck rides, and ammunition for the paintball safari. Of course food and pumpkins are also sold separately. Miss the crowds of the weekends and go on a weekday for a lower cost. Most activities are open, some of the things not offered during the week are: Catch & Release Trout Fishing, Live Pig & Duck Races, Destruction Zone, face painting, pumpkin princess, monster truck & pony rides, and paintball safari. Maris Farms has their famous Haunted Woods at night. This is an outdoor haunt with about 1 mile of trails through corn fields and forests. The scares are can be intensely PG-13, so it’s not recommended for youngsters. The Flashlight Maze is a non-haunted night activity for those of us a little less brave.
Open 10AM-6PM for the Daytime activities, the Nighttime activities times vary depending on the day, so check their website for times and to purchase tickets (some nights may sell out) at: https://marisfarms.ticketleap.com October 1-31
Prices are: Daytime- $12 weekends, $8 weekdays
Most nights (check website)- $25 Haunted Woods, $40 Haunted Woods Fast Pass, $22.50 Flashlight Maze
Located at: 25001 Sumner-Buckley Hwy, Buckley, WA 98321, phone # 253-862-2848
For more information see their website at: http://marisfarms.com
• Mosby Farm is a simple, harvest-style pumpkin patch that has been a family favorite for 25 years. Take a cart out into the field and find your perfect pumpkin and on weekends take a tractor pulled hay ride. There is also a corn maze. This year the theme is Mo’s Bees, with 1.7 miles of trails through a honeycomb maze.
Open 10am-Dusk, October 1-30
Prices are: Corn Maze- $9 for adults, $6 for kids, Free under age 3 (go to this link and print a coupon for $2 off corn maze admission: http://mosbyfarm.com/pumpkin-patch/ )
Located at: 3104 Auburn Black Diamond Road, Auburn, Washington 98092, phone #: 253-939-7666
For more information see their website at: http://mosbyfarm.com/pumpkin-patch/
• Pfaff’s Christmas Trees also has a pumpkin patch that they grow amongst the trees! For a simple, muddy good time picking out your future jack-o-lantern, this is the place.
Open 9AM-6PM, October 1-30 on weekends (check website, they said they may add weekdays as well).
Located at: 29204 124th Ave SE, Auburn, WA 98092, phone # 253-852-8244
For more information, see their Facebook page or their website at: http://www.pfaffschristmastrees.com/index.html
• Picha Farms is a third generation farm that is known for its high quality produce. In October they have a pumpkin patch, hayrides and a slingshot where if you hit the target you win 15 lbs. of free pumpkin! They also have a 7-acre corn maze and if you find the answers to all eight trivia questions you win a prize. Sip on hot apple cider or latte & eat some kettle corn, caramel apples or gourmet hot dogs at their concession stand. Buy some squash and gourds on the way out and you’ve had yourself a good day at the farm.
Open Weekdays 3PM- 6PM, Weekends 10AM-6PM, October 1-31
Oct. 14th open 10AM-6PM
Prices are: Corn Maze- $6/ person, free age 3 and under
Sling Shot- $1/ shot
Hayride (starting Oct. 14th) – $3/person, free age 1 and under
Located at: 6502 52nd ST E, Puyallup, WA 98371, phone # 253-841-4443
For more information, see their website.
• Scholz Farm Pumpkin Palace is a 4th generation family farm that has great fall activities especially if you have small kids. There is a large pumpkin patch with a tractor in the middle the kids can climb on. They have a corn maze that is full of fun, themed displays of scarecrows that is kid friendly. Small children love the hill of sawdust that they can ride down on various wheeled toys to their hearts content, as well as putt-putt golf with clubs made of sticks and shoes, giant pumpkins on display and the famous “How Tall This Fall” photo op. They also have a concession stand so you can get your pumpkin spice latte or hot apple cider and a snack after burning off all that energy running all over the farm.
Open 9 AM-6 PM, October 1-31
Prices: FREE for activities!
Located at: 14310 128th St E, Puyallup, Washington 98374, phone #:(253) 848-7604
For more information check out their Facebook page or here: http://www.pugetsoundfresh.org/farm/scholz-farm-and-garden
• Spooner Farms Annual Harvest Festival and Corn Maze has been a local event for 22 years. They have a 5 –acre maze with over 3 miles in paths, huge pumpkin patch, pedal karts, pumpkin sling shots, farm animals, pony rides, duck races and more. (Be aware M-F during their booked tour times (9 AM to 3 PM) most activities are not open to non-tour guests. Also concessions, Roasted Corn, Playtown, Pedal Karts, Face Painting, and Pony Rides are weekend only activities.)
Open: Weekdays- 10 AM to 5:30 PM, Weekends- 9 AM- 5:30 AM, October 1- 31
Prices: Corn Maze- Weekdays $7, Weekends $9 ages 13 & up, $7 ages 3-12, free ages 2 & under
Located at: 9710 State Route 162 East, Puyallup, WA 98374, phone # 253-840-2059
For more information, see their website.
• Thomasson Family Farm is a working dairy farm that opens up some of its property for some good old fashioned farm fun. The Kids Korral includes many activities including a bubble table, duck races, red-necked slide, Squirty Guierty the hand milking cow, the corn box, hay maze, animals, Jr. Zip lines and a tractor train ride. There is also a 5 acre corn maze which includes a game where you solve the mystery of “Who stole Farmer Cathy’s pie?”
Open 9:30AM- 5:30PM, October 1-31
Prices: Kids Korral- Weekdays $3 adults age 16 and up, $7 kids ages 2-15
Weekends $5 adults, $10 kids
Kids Korral & Corn Maze- Weekdays $8 adults, $12 kids
Weekends Kids Korral & Corn Maze or Laser Tag $10 adults, $15 kids
Weekends Kids Korral & Corn Maze & Lazer Tag $15 adults, $20 kids
Located at: 38223 236th Avenue SE, Enumclaw, Washington 98022, Phone:(360) 802-0503
For more information see their website: http://www.thomassonfarm.com
Non- Farm Related Fall Fun
• Aquarium Halloween in Seattle you can see two kinds of pumpkin carving demonstrations- on land and underwater with divers! They will have games, treats and special presentations like Halloween story time and a Spooky Ice Toy Demonstration both days.
October 29-30, 10 AM- 4 PM
Price: $24.95 Adult (ages 13 and up), $16.95 Youth (ages 4-12), free child (ages 3 and under)
Go here to purchase tickets online: https://tickets.seattleaquarium.org/events/78bd87d9-45ae-fba9-7221-48bf8bff195f
Location: Seattle Aquarium, 1483 Alaskan Way Pier 59, Seattle 98101, phone # 206-386-4300
For presentation schedule see their website: http://www.seattleaquarium.org/halloween
• Boo in Burien Haunted House is hosted by Hot Feet Fitness. This annual Haunted House is in conjunction with the Boo In Burien event and is a family focused daytime event. Boo in Burien is hosted by Discover Burien the Annual Safe Trick-n-Treat event for families that includes, besides the Haunted House, Pumpkin Painting, Costume Dog Parade, Weiner Dog Races, and more!
Open October 29, Noon- 3 PM
Price: Free! (But donations greatly appreciated!)
Haunted House Located at: 815 SW 152nd St., Burien 98166, phone # (206) 519-5450
For more information, their website is: http://www.hotfeetfitness.com/boo & http://www.discoverburien.org/events/event/boo-in-burien/
• Boos and Booze Tour is a special Pretty Gritty Tours Ghost Tour of downtown Tacoma with a good beer before and a celebratory round of beer afterwards at two of their favorite local breweries.
October weekends 7-30th,
Price: $39.95, buy tickets & get more information here: http://prettygrittytours.com/grit-city-ghost-stories.html
Location: Downtown Tacoma (see ticket for meeting spot)
• Campfire: Improvised Ghost Stories takes you back to stories around the campfire. Improv Anonymous gather true- life events from the audience then spins them into improvised stories, some scary, some hilarious. This has been an audience favorite at Unexpected Productions for over a decade.
Upcoming shows: October 6, 13, 20, 27, November 3, 10, all at 8:30 PM
Tickets are $10, you can purchase them here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/campfire-improvised-ghost-stories-tickets-24637338944
Located at: Unexpected Productions’ Market Theater, 1428 Post Alley (at the Gum Wall in Pike Place Market), Seattle 98101, Phone # (206) 587-2414
For more information see their website: http://www.unexpectedproductions.org/show/campfire2016
• Corks & Canvas- The Great Pumpkin. Paint your next pumpkin inspired masterpiece! Price includes all supplies, first glass of wine and step by step instruction of the featured art.
October 12, 6:30 PM- 8:30 PM
Price: $45 advance registration only. Register here: http://corksandcanvasevents.com/1012-the-great-pumpkin-urban-timber-Kent/
Location: Urban Timber Coffee Company, 20038 68th AVE S., Kent 98032, Phone # 253-872-6866
• Georgetown Morgue is a high quality, scary haunted house production in a real morgue that is no longer in use. This year new sections of the morgue have been opened up for the haunted house to add even more scary fun! They also offer daytime tours, especially to school groups, to see how this sort of production is put on. Call 425-879-8670 for daytime, behind the scene tours.
Open: September 23- October 31, Fridays & Saturdays 7pm – Midnight Sundays & Weekdays 7pm – 10pm Halloween 6pm – Midnight (days vary each week, check online to make sure they are open the day you want to go!); Kids day (lights on) October 15, 1 PM- 4 PM
Prices: $22 and up, purchase tickets at event or here: https://secure.interactiveticketing.com/1.11/d70047/#/select
Located at: Georgetown Morgue, 5000 East Marginal Way South, Seattle 98134, Phone # 206-762-2067
For more information see their website: https://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_in_seattle_Washington_kube_93_haunted
• Hoot & Howl at NW Trek Wildlife Park is a special nighttime tram tour of the park. There is also games, prizes to win, crafts to make and trick-or-treating! Costumes are encouraged (adults please leave masks and scary face paint at home). This is the only nighttime event of the year at NW Trek.
October 21 & 22, 6 PM- 10 PM
Price: online $11.95 ages 13 and up, day of event $13.95; online $7.95 ages 3-12, day of event $9.95; free ages 2 and under (NW Trek members save $2/ticket). Buy tickets here: http://tickets.nwtrek.org/WebStore/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=tix&C=EV2
Location: 11610 Trek Dr. E, Eatonville 98328, Phone # 360-832-6117
For more information, see their website: https://www.nwtrek.org/events/?cid=1131
• Halloween at Kent Station is an annual event with trick-or-treating and more. Check on their website for details once they are posted: http://www.kentstation.com/events
• Halloween ComicFest is celebrating its 5th year of participating comic book shops celebrating the Halloween season by giving away comic books free to anyone who comes into their shops! Some of our local shops participating are:
Comic Hut, 822 S. 3rd, Renton 98057
Hills of Comics, 125 E. Main St., Auburn 98002
Action City Comics, 2120 S. 320th St. Suite C12, Federal Way 98003
Fantasium Comics, 1500 S. 336th St. Suite 12A, Federal Way 98003
Price: free (if you can resist buying other comics while you are there)
For more information or to search for participating stores out of the area, see their website: http://www.halloweencomicfest.com/Home/1/1/78/1138
• HallowTeen Dance is a fun activity for teens ages 12- 15. It includes dancing, food, games, prizes and a costume contest.
Oct. 28, 6 PM- 8:30 PM
Price: $5/ person
Location: Cedar Heights Middle School Commons, 19640 SE 272nd ST, Covington, WA 98042
For more information go to the city of Covington’s website: http://www.covingtonwa.gov/calendar_app/calendar_event_detail.html?eventId=2800&date=10/28/2016&show=no
• House of Doom in Puyallup is a small home haunt with actors and scary decorations. All who come to the door will get a bag of candy. (May be too scary for kids under age 6).
October 31, 5 PM- 10 PM
Location: 8910 159th St. E., Puyallup 98375, email: [email protected]
For more information see: https://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_in_puyallup_washington_house_of_doom
• Oktoberfest NW is on its 12th year! There is musical entertainment the whole weekend, a 5K Stein Dash, a Hammerschlagen tournament (the goal of which is to drive a nail into a cross section of wood faster than your opponents). They also have kids activities including: a root bier garden, a scavenger hunt, free pumpkin decorating, free face painting, an authentic may pole dance, arts & crafts projects with the Tacoma German Language School, games and more. On Sunday they are having The “Running of the Wieners” wiener dog race, and of course the Authentic German food and beer.
October 7, noon- midnight; October 8, 11 AM- midnight; October 9, 11 AM- 6 PM
Price: Friday 12 PM- 3 PM- Free; 3 PM- midnight- $12
Sat. $12; Sunday $6; Kids 12 and under- free all weekend
Location: Washington State Fair Events Center, 110 9th Ave SW, Puyallup, WA 98371
For more information go to their website: http://www.oktoberfestnw.com
• Peanuts ™ The Great Pumpkin Patch Express is an autumn train ride on the Mt. Rainier Railroad. Ride the train with Snoopy and Charlie Brown, play games and read the book “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” on your journey to the pumpkin patch. Each child gets their own pumpkin included.
Weekends October 15-23, see website to purchase tickets: https://public.whistletix.com/MRSR/Events/Calendar?Month=10
Prices: Adult (ages 13 and up) $45- $55, Youth (ages 2-12) $19- $29
Location: Mt. Rainier Railroad & Logging Museum, 54124 Mountain Hwy E., Elbe 98330, Phone # 360-569-7959
For more information: http://mtrainierrailroad.com/train-excursions/peanuts/
• Pumpkin Plunge at the Tukwila Pool is a floating pumpkin patch! At the Tukwila Pool they float over 150 pumpkins for the kids to pick from. Preregister to reserve your spot at: https://secure.rec1.com/wa/tukwila-pool-district/reg.php.
October 15, 1 PM- 3 PM
Location: Tukwila Pool, 4414 S. 144th St., Tukwila, Phone #: 206-267-2350
For more information see their website: http://www.tukwilapool.org/upcoming-events/
• Spooked in Seattle has a lot of spooky events in October. Some are: The Pioneer Ghost Tour, Haunted Pub Tour, Underground Ghost Tour, Death Museum Tour, “Hocus Pocus” Friday Night Movie, and Goodies Halloween Festival. The Halloween festival is a collection of eccentric creations with even more eccentric creators. Artists specializing in a diverse range of media take over the underground for a night of Halloween fun. There is no cover fee for the festival and costumes are encouraged. October 29, 3 PM- 9 PM.
For details on the other Tours and to buy tickets go to their website at: http://spookedinseattle.squarespace.com/tours-hunts
• Spooky Swim & Halloween Swim is a special swim with the lights off and a glowing pool!
Spooky Swim- October 29, first session 5 PM- 6:30 PM, second session 6:30- 8PM
Halloween Swim- October 31, Public swim 7 PM- 8 PM, Lap & Family swim, 8 PM- 9 PM
Location: Covington Aquatic Center, 18230 SE 240th St., Covington 98042, phone # 253-480-2480
• Superheros VS Villains 5k Run/Walk is a fun event to get outside and get some exercise. Dress up as your favorite Superhero or Villain- the best dressed wins a prize! All runners upon registration get finisher gold medals and a free t-shirt. There will also be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in the race. Sign the customized “get better soon” cards for patients at the Seattle Children’s Hospital while you are there.
October 8, 9:30 AM (arrive early to register and park)
Price: $30 adult, $5 student
Magnuson Park, 7400 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle 98115, Phone # 408-409-4507
• Tricks & Treats Funfest is for kids ages 2-12 and has a costume contest, games, candy, prizes, a haunted hallway and great photo ops.
October 29, 3 PM- 6 PM
Price: Pre-registered: $8; at the door $10; kids under 23 months and adults are free
Location: Federal Way Community Center, 876 S. 333rd St., Federal Way 98003, Phone # 253-835-6916
For more information see their website at: http://itallhappenshere.org/events.html
• Zoo Boo at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is a fun, fall-themed weekend at the zoo. Watch the animals enjoy special pumpkin enrichments and see how creative the keepers are at designing their jack-o-lanterns. People in costume get $2 off their admission!
October 15-16, 10 AM- 4 PM.
Price: Adults (ages 13-64) $17.95; Seniors (ages 65+) $16.95; Youths (ages 5-12) $13.95; Tots (3 & 4) $9.95; Children ages 2 and under FREE; Purchase online for $2 less per ticket at: https://tickets.pdza.org/WebStore/Shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=PDZA1&C=GA1
Location: 5400 N. Pearl St. Tacoma 98407, Phone # (253) 591-5337
For more information, go to their website:
As you can see, there is plenty to keep you busy in October! Enjoy the crisp air, the fun frights and the pumpkin spice lattes!