Posted on 08 November 2012
The City of Kent experiences nearly 60 car related incidents per week. With this in mind, and the holidays around the corner, consider these car safety tips so you don’t become another statistic:
1. Lock your car, every time, even if you are just leaving it for a minute!
2. Put valuables in your trunk BEFORE arriving at your destination (like the gym or grocery store). Someone can see you put them in your trunk, and still break in.
3. Don’t leave your car running to “warm it up.” It is way too easy for a stranger to hop in and drive off.
4. Report suspicious people in parking lots who are lingering and/or looking in windows. Call 9-1-1.
5. Be aware of your surroundings.
If we all take just a few seconds to practice these safety techniques, we can reduce the number of car prowls in and around Kent.
Posted on 20 August 2008
I received this note from KDP today. It’s important news – and good advice – so I thought I’d share it:
The Kent Police Department has had an increase in case reports for car prowls. Please read this information carefully and take the following steps TODAY to avoid being the victim of these crimes.
A few SIMPLE steps can prevent your car from being a target for a car prowler or thief. A car prowl is when someone breaks into a car to commit a crime. Typically, car prowlers break into a car because they see something that may be of value. That includes shopping bags, backpacks, change, anything that is visible to a passerby as they look into your car.
Follow these steps every time you park your car and decrease the likelihood of being a victim!
- Keep personal and valuable belongings out of sight. Do not invite a break-in by leaving valuables such as cameras, CDs, IPODs, money, computers, stereos, bags, packages or shopping bags (including re-usable bags) in plain sight. Take them with you out of your car or discreetly lock them in your trunk if you cannot remove them when you park. DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU PARK!
- Keep all doors locked and windows up at all times when you park. A lock is only effective if you use it!
- Secure your vehicle in your garage or park in a well-lit and highly visible area. Criminals look for cars that are isolated and parked in dark areas.
- Use your alarm system at all times.
- If you have a GPS system, remove it when you park your car. And, remove the GPS holder as well. Criminals know that a GPS holder means there is probably a GPS somewhere in the car! Out of sight, out of mind!
- If you see a person looking into cars and appears suspicious, call 9-1-1.
After you do all of these steps and you are still concerned about auto theft, consider using a steering wheel locking device, also knows as The Club. The Kent Police Employees Benevolent Association (KPEBA) sells the Club at an extremely discounted rate: $15 for a car version and $20 for a truck version. This is over half of the cost you’ll see them for in stores. All proceeds benefit Kent youth too!
The Kent Police Department is here to work with you to prevent crime. Please take these steps today. Share them with your family and friends. Post them in your work place. These simple steps, done every time you park, will significantly reduce the likelihood that the criminal will target your car.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Kent Police Department at this email or by calling 253-856-5851.