Family and Dogs Escape Kent Home Fire Saturday

Fire was caused by a chimney pipe drying out wood in the wall

Fire was caused by a chimney pipe drying out wood in the wall

No Injuries in Kent Chimney FireYesterday afternoon, a home in the 600 block of Railroad Avenue South caught fire. There were no injuries, reports Puget Sound Fire Authority. The family and their three dogs got out of the home safely. Red Cross was called to assist the family.

Firefighters from Puget Sound Fire were dispatched at 11:56 AM, and found a two-story home with heavy smoke coming from the southwest corner of the roof. Engine 71 arrived first and began to fight the fire. Quickly determining it was a fire in the wall and ceiling, next to the metal chimney, firefighters used chainsaws to cut into the area and put the fire out. Quick action by the firefighters limited the amount of damage to the upstairs bedroom.

The Fire Investigator determined the cause of the fire was due to the chimney pipe drying out the wood in the wall over time, which eventually caused it to ignite. In addition to Engine 71, units from South King Fire and Rescue, Zone Three Explorer Rehab Unit, and King County Medic One responded to this incident.

Puget Sound Fire Authority reminds residents to allow for proper clearance around all home heating devices and ensure that all smoke alarms are in good working order.