Kent Police Department reports that vehicle prowls are on the rise again. Last week, there were 41 prowls which is unusually high, according to the city. Often vehicles are targeted because of valuables left inside. Most vehicle prowls are, however, preventable. The city offers these vehicle prowl prevention tips and asks that readers share these tips with their friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, Block Watches and other members of the community.
- Secure your vehicle every time you park; lock car doors, roll up windows, use your alarm system and consider installing a CLUB on your steering wheel. Access to several vehicles was gained through unlocked doors.
- Remove all valuables EVERY TIME you park. Criminals are smashing windows to gain access: stealing iPods, cell phones, chargers, CDs, GPS units, shopping bags and even change.
- Get to know your neighbors. Know which cars are familiar for your neighborhood.
- If you park on the street, try to park under street lights and nearby your house/business.
- If you hear a car alarm, please pay attention to it. Look out the window. Report all suspicious activity, people or vehicles, by calling 911. If you ask yourself, “should I call 911,” the answer is probably yes.
- If you are a victim of any crime, report it by calling 911 or filing an online police report. Visit www.kentWA.gov/police and click on the link for “File an Online Police Report.” Police want to hear about it!
For more crime prevention tips, visit www.kentpoliceceu.com